The co-op approach is the most wonderful opportunity to have a hands-on, involved role in your child’s first school experience.
- Co-op trains parents to act as the teaching assistants (duty parents), to staff the preschool.
- Every duty parent must complete the 10 hour initial orientation and the one and a half hour education requirement every month to meet the licensing criteria to be a duty parent.
- Duty parents get to spend one or two days a month in the classroom assisting the ECE in the classroom.
- The parents own and run the school, so you can have a say in the operation of the school.
- Families work together closely, so you really get to know the children and families that attend the school.
- We must fundraise a certain amount of money each year to meet the annual financial needs of the school. We try to make the fundraising varied and fun.
- Best of all, you get to be with your child in their class as they are learning to adjust to a new environment. You can see how they play, what they enjoy doing and how they are learning to interact with others.
We are a member of the Vancouver Island Cooperative Preschool Association (VICPA). You can find more about VICPA at www.vicpa.org